Thursday, June 10, 2004

Discovery of a Potato Chip at 6AM

I have not pedaled a bike down a road in some while, but this morning was to be the start of a brighter future. So I was up at 5:30 and outside rolling my bike toward the street at 6 AM. Except, my bike didn't roll.

A quick diagnosis revealed a back wheel that would not turn, brake pads that could not be separated wide enough for the rim to pass, a huge rear wheel wobble, or as unaffectionately known to some, a potato chip wheel.

Why oh why now when I finally am suited up early and have a head full of initiative? I released the back brake completely so that it was inoperable, and I was able to get the rear wheel spinning in a chaotic orbit. I thought: maybe. And gingerly took it out for a test.

Wow, my bike feels light, and what a nice sensation rolling down the road, even with the occasional rear wheel squireliness. But how could I have "potato chipped" or "taco'd" my rear wheel while it was sitting motionless on the bike trainer?

Well, yes, I'll admit it: a few days back I had managed to crash in place on the bike trainer. I discovered that only a small diamater screw bore the rider weight and pedaling forces, wore a puzzled panic on my face, and crashed sideways at 0 mph. They shouldn't let old men near bikes.

But today I got out on the road.

Log: 55 minutes. About 13 miles of rolling roads, empty except for the garbage trucks, at a pedestrian pace that fully reflects my fitless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home